Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Let me introduce myself

 My name is Beth. I am a 56 year old Ginger. Born in the USA but living in Canada. In 2010 I was first diagnosed with stage IIIA Surface Spreading Melanoma with micrometastases in the Sentinel Node in my left groin. Recently, after almost nine years of living NED I found a lump in the left groin and now have become a member of the group who have Loco-Regional Recurrence. That's my medical status but I haven't really introduced myself have I?

 I grew up in the time where sunscreen was Coppertone with an SPF of 2. The preferable choice was baby oil anyway. A blistering sunburn Monday morning at school meant you had a great weekend. Our family had a cottage on Lake Erie and every weekend was spent there. In the boat, on the beach, in the water, sun, sun, sun. I guess what I am trying to say is I was a walking billboard for Melanoma. I was usually healthy, mother of three kids, house full of dogs, somewhat reserved about my personal life but known for usually having a smile on my face. My grandfather was a doctor and my family was full of medical professionals so I was never intimidated by any health professionals and always advocated for the best care for myself and my family. Never afraid to question anybody, in a polite respectful way of course, most of the time. My family lived through some very tragic circumstances starting early in my life so I became a "strong" person or better yet someone who recognises that just like good times, bad times don't last and they sometimes prepare you for what is coming. Even though you can't live your life waiting for the bad turn to come. I think this gives you a general idea of me. My outlook is optimistic though practical, when faced with a problem my first reaction his how to "fix" the issue. I tend to always find a reason to smile or laugh because I know that is the only way to contentment. I believe that no change is bad or good of itself it is how we meet the change and adjust is one of our defining characteristics. Melanoma was a huge change in my life, how I see myself, how it changed me, how I have integrated this disease in to my life instead of letting it define who I am is why I have started this blog and what I want this blog to be about.
I hope to help people who have been diagnosed, those who care for those diagnosed, those learning about the disease, anyone know that if I consider myself to be more than a Melanoma or Cancer survivor so can they. Disease does not have to define us, it's just part of who we are. Sometimes it takes more of our energy and thought but not all the time. Sometimes it's just our quiet empathy, our desire to warn others and unique appreciation of what life truly means to us that may be the give away that we have been changed by disease. I hate this disease but in many ways like the person it has forced me to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Six Months In What Comes After

  It's taken me a while to write this post. The emotions are all tied up with my current situation, and some of what I went through is h...